Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Musical Notes

Get it? These are my thoughts about music, so they are notes about it. Terrible pun, I'm still laughing.

A. My friend Pat was explaining to me the bands that he would have play at his version of Lollapalooza if anyone ever asked him to put together a festival. It sounded like a cool idea, so I thought I'd give it a try in case any Jane's Addiction lead singers ever need any help with ideas.
1. Wilco: Easy, they're my favorite and they're from Chicago. I think it's a sin they aren't going to be there this year.
2. Spoon: Another softball. This band has been off the radar for a while after the buzz from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga died down, but I would love to hear some new stuff an see these gents play a big show.
3. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals: I'm calling his bluff here. He said he was done playing for a while, but I don't believe it. I think that his married life and book tour will make him want to get on the road again and what better place than a festival?
4. Fleet Foxes: I like the folk sound that this group from the northwest puts together, and I don't care if it makes some people sleepy. It's good music.
5. Vampire Weekend: The last we heard of these chaps they were playing a new song on Fallon's show and I wasn't a big fan of it. I want to hear more new stuff and I want to see these Ivy Leaguers rock their deck shoes off.
6. Kid Cudi: I'm going to surprise some people with this pick, but every fest needs a little hip hop flavor, and for my money this Cleveland native is the best in the biz.
7. Brian Wilson: That Lucky Old Sun came out not too long ago, and those classic Beach Boys hits would be cool to see from the man himself. Plus, who is expecting Brian Wilson at an indie-music fest?
8. American Football: A reunion of one of 90's indie rock's most influential groups in the area they hail from. It would be epic for those who care. Plus Mike Kinsella could play some Owen songs for everyone at some point during the day too.
9. Death Cab For Cutie: Who doesn't want to see these guys? If Zooey made her way on stage for a song or two that would be sweet too.
10. Limbeck!: What fest of mine would be complete without my favorite band? Plus it might open some people's eyes to one of the most agreeable bands I've ever heard.

B. The Open Door EP is awesome. But if I'm Zooey Deschanel I'm thinking otherwise. Here's the deal, the fledgling indie darling gets engaged to the king of the scene and then he writes a collection of songs all related to an open door: a not-so-subtle metaphor about leaving. Yeah, I'd be upset.
These metaphors about marriage, self-doubt and general worries line the entire short collection. They make up an astounding listen for fans of any level, except that special category Zooey belongs to. If I were her, I'd be on the phone with Matt Ward planning another She & Him release about not putting out, or something passive aggressive like that. Let's hope that she admires the art and holds no grudges.

C. I think there should be a song for the Indians like "Go Cubs Go". It's not fair that they have the market cornered on that.

D. Still looking for best new music this year. Good thing Wilco (The Album) drops soon.

No comments: