Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Favorite Song, pt. 2: East - Classics

In this bracket are the songs that I typically call my "favorite" songs. A wide variety of tunes from many bands were considered, but here are the top eight

1. Anything You Want - Spoon

v.

8. Spoils of the Spoiled - The New Amsterdams

-This match up seems a bit lopsided, as I don't often claim to be a huge NA fan. "Anything" is a song that I discovered at a point in my life when I really needed it, and it has remained a favorite for a long time. "Spoils," on the other hand, is a catchy little number from a solid album. This is really the David and Goliath match-up, but as with all songs in the competition, they will be listened to equally and further judged.


4. Gamblin' Man - Limbeck

v.

5. Dance All Night - Ryan Adams & the Cardinals

-As the rankings would indicate, this is the closest match up of songs in this bracket. On any given day either of these two artists could be counted as number one in my pantheon of music. I'm going to have a hard time picking between the two, and it may come down to something trivial like a coin flip.


2. Heavy Metal Drummer - Wilco

v.

7. Your English is Good - Tokyo Police Club

-Another seemingly lopsided clash of songs. Both are poppy up-tempo numbers that make me happy inside. The advantage that "Drummer" has is that it launched what can only be described as a torrid love affair with Wilco. They will be given equal opportunity to advance, but I can almost call this one now.


3. Janet - The Format

v.

6. July! July! - The Decemberists

-If there was going to be a Cinderella from this bracket "July!" may just be the best candidate. Very frequently I cite "Janet" as my favorite, but the more I grow to love the Decemberists, the more "July!" sticks out to me.


Let me know what you think about these match up's and how you would pick them.

Stay tuned for the other three regions, and the results next week.

No comments: