Friday, July 10, 2009

My Favorite Song, pt.3: West - Current

This is what's hot right now, what's been blowing up on my computer and in my car stereo. Right now this is what I want to hear and this is what I've been digging.

1. Lisztomania - Phoenix

v.

8. Akron/Family - River

-These two have been hot recently, and it's really a much closer race than the rankings would indicate. Phoenix burst on to my iTunes after being hyped up by the blog MusicForAnts.com, I don't regret the decision to get this album at all. The French band puts together some incredible dancy-tunes and "Lisztomania" is certainly my favorite. "River" was almost gifted to me by the local record store, and since this song has been making the rounds in my car's CD player. This one is going to be heated.


4. My Friend - Dr. Dog

v.

5. Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear

-Dr. Dog's album Fate is getting a bit old now, a year or so, but it never lost it's appeal to me. "My Friend" has such a fun guitar riff and vocal styling that I couldn't, and still can't stop listening to it. "Two Weeks" is the most accessible Grizzly Bear song, and my favorite from Veckatimest. The only thing holding the Bear back is that "Two Weeks" is tied for my favorite off their newest with the song "Cheerleader."


2. Sweet Talk - Dear and the Headlights

v.

7. Ragged Wood - Fleet Foxes

-Dear easily could have made it on the Classics bracket because of my affection for the AZ band. But "Ragged Wood" has such a great guitar and such incredible vocal harmonies that I ca hardly resist it's allure. Tough match-up.


3. Cannibal Queen - Miniature Tigers

v.

6. Coma Girl - Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros

-Little pop gems from these new comers and the king of punk. This one may come down to a coin flip as well.


Comments are appreciated!

No comments: